“The secret to success in safety is to be educated and confident in what you are telling people,” says Steve Ratliff, safety director for SMACNA – Kansas City. “Be friendly and supportive. Remember, there is a job to be done. If you take something away that makes the job easier, you need to give something back.” Read his full interview at https://smacna.link/safety-voices. #safetyculture#NationalSafetyMonth
Stacey Smyly, executive director of SMACNA – Kansas City, is the only chapter executive on SMACNA’s Safety Committee. “I’ve been in the trenches,” says Stacey, “and I know how difficult it is to manage safety at a company and infuse a strong safety culture into the workforce.” On that note, she says “safety cannot be managed from the corner office. You have to be on the shop floor and out in the field talking with your employees.” On advice to others, Stacey offers this: “Safety is not a one-person job. It is a community of people with a common goal—going home in the same shape they came to work.” Read her full interview at http://smacna.link/safety-voices.
Don’t Get Caught In-between!
Stay Safe in Trenches
Heat Stress Prevention
Guest Speaker Stephen Ratliff, CSPSr. Loss Control Consultant
Thursday, July 9th 2020
Click Here for More Information
Link to the meeting
The 7th Annual National Safety Stand-Down to Prevent Falls has been rescheduled for September 14-18, 2020. As part of the planning process, OSHA is focusing on having events that rely on safe procedures in the COVID environment (virtual town halls, webinars, podcasts, and other methods are being planned). More details to follow.
SMACNA NATIONAL NEWS
- The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the Trump administration’s attempt to end DACA fell short of the legal requirements for ending such a broad executive program.
- SMACNA will host a free Webinar to explain how the Supreme Court decision in BOSTOCK v. CLAYTON COUNTY, GEORGIA et al. could impact your business.
- The National Pension Fund’s Board of Trustees has approved contractor relief for May hours as was previously approved for February, March and April hours.
- SMACNA’s Let’s Talk Shop podcast series features conversations with sheet metal contractors on topics and trends related to their businesses — and summer is the perfect time to catch up.
- ConsensusDocs Publishes First Industry Standard Contract Integrating Lean Practices for Design-Build ProjectsThe Design-Build Lean Addendum is the first and only standard contract document tailored to incorporate Lean practices.